Traffic Court

A traffic citation has been issued for you to appear before the Mobile County District Court. If you fail to pay or otherwise dispose of your case prior to the court date and fail to appear on your court date, a warrant may be issued for your arrest, your driver’s license may be suspended by the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, the fine may be increased, and any bond posted may be forfeited. The Court date on your copy of the ticket is NOT A TRIAL DATE; if you desire to plead NOT GUILTY and want a TRIAL, you must appear in court on your court date to request a TRIAL.

Tickets listed in the chart on the next page may be paid by entering a guilty plea without a required court appearance, provided you have not been convicted of two or more traffic offenses in the preceding 12 months. If you wish to avoid a court appearance and enter a plea of guilty, sign the Defendant’s plea of guilty on the back of your copy of the ticket and attach your money order or cashier’s check for the amount of fine and costs indicated and mail it to:

District Court Clerk - Traffic
205 Government Street
N. Tower, Room No. 338
Mobile, AL 36644-2338

You may also pay online at:

NO PERSONAL CHECKS. Personal checks will be returned causing a delay.

For questions or payment please contact the Alabama Traffic Service Center at or by calling toll free (866) 954-9399. Cases may be paid on or before your court date with a credit or debit card by calling (877) 252-7294 or by accessing the following website:

Processing of No-Insurance Tickets


For an out-of court settlement, defendant may provide proof, in person or by mail, before the court date and the case will be dismissed. Proof provided 30 days after the court date will result in the ticket being dismissed upon payment of court cost. Proof cannot be provided after 6 months of the court date; the ticket must be paid in full.

The same processing of no insurance tickets applies to no driver's license, expired driver's license, driver's license not in possession, improper tint, expired tag, equipment repairs and no medical card.

To avoid further court appearances, Defendant should bring to court all relevant documents at the first court appearance. For example, if the Defendant did not have insurance at the time the ticket was written, but has obtained insurance, proof of the new insurance may result in a lower fine. Also, if the Defendant had insurance coverage on another vehicle and the vehicle driven at the time of citation was newly purchased, the Defendant may bring proof of insurance on the other vehicle, proof of purchase of the newly purchased vehicle described in the ticket and a statement from the insurance provider that the newly purchased vehicle was covered at the time of citation, although the Defendant had not received the insurance card.

Tickets which may be paid without a court appearance.


Fines and Costs

Expired tag $194.00
Failure to use child restraint $194.00
Failure to wear safety belt $46.00
Failure to yield right-of-way $189.00
Following too closely $189.00
Improper brakes/backing $189.00
Improper lights $189.00
Improper passing $189.00
Improper signal $179.00
Improper tag/No tag $194.00
Improper tires $189.00
Improper turn $189.00
No proof of insurance $219.00
Operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license/expired license $244.00
Running Red Light or Stop Sign $189.00
Speeding (less than 25 mph over limit) $189.00
Speeding (25 mph or more over limit, but under 90 mph) $209.00
Speeding (90-94 mph) $234.00
Speeding (95-100 mph) $269.00
Speeding (less than 25 mph in construction zone, workers present) $209.00
Speeding (25 mph or more in construction zone, workers present) $249.00


Please note that traffic violations not listed in the chart above cannot be paid without court appearance.

Frequently Asked Questions

I received a ticket, how much is it?
Did you receive it by a city officer, state trooper or deputy sheriff?  If you received it by a city officer then you must call (251) 208-7055 to find out the necessary information.  State trooper tickets and deputy sheriff tickets in Mobile County are resolved with the District Court.  Call (251) 574-8511.

My family/friend received a ticket.  Can I come in and pay the ticket for them?
Yes you can but only if you bring in the person’s ticket with the person’s signature on the back of the ticket.  This signature indicates the person wishes to plead guilty to this citation.

I would like to attend driving school, what can I do?
Criteria to attend driving school listed below:

  1. Ticket must have been issued on or after 3/16/2020.
  2. You can't possess a CDL license.
  3. You have not attended a driving school course within the last year.
  4. You have not received a moving violation within the last year.

If you meet the criteria, please call Alabama Safety Institute at 251-450-0200.  You will be required to pay a fee to attend driving school, you must pay the court costs of $169.00 and complete the driving school course seven days prior to your court appearance date on your citation.

The $169.00 court costs must be mailed to: District Court, 205 Government Street, Rm. 338, North Tower, Mobile, AL 36644.  Cashier check or money order.

I received a ticket for no proof of insurance.  What do I do about this ticket without having to come to court?
First, if you had insurance but you did not have it in the vehicle you were driving you can mail in a copy of your insurance card for that time period you were cited for.  If it is valid then your ticket will be nolle prossed.  Second, if you purchased the insurance after you received this ticket, then you must mail in a copy of the valid insurance card along with $169.00 money order or cashier check for the court costs.  Third, if you never received your insurance then you can pay $219.00 for this ticket.

I received a ticket for no driver’s license, what do I do?
If you had a valid license but did not have it in your possession at the time of your citation, mail in a copy of your license along with your citation and your citation will be nolle prossed.  If you did not have a valid license at the time of citation but at a later date got a valid license then mail in a copy of your valid license and $169.00 money order or cashier’s check for court costs.  If you wish to pay the ticket it will be $244.00.

I received an improper tag ticket, what do I do?
If you had a tag but did not have your tag receipt in your vehicle at the time you were given this ticket then all you need to do is send a valid copy of the tag receipt.  Note: the tag receipt must reflect the vehicle information for the vehicle you were cited in.  If you receive a valid tag after the ticket was issued then you must present a copy of the renewed tag receipt with $169.00 for court costs.  If you never renew the tag then you can pay $194.00.

All the above issues can be resolved by mailing this information to our office.